Now here is treat for Marc and Mike and I hope for all of us.

A rare sound track, from around the 1950’s, from a TV recording made by the BBC featuring the London Banjo Club

LANCASHIRE CLOGS

Views: 1463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you frailer !  I have added players for the tunes for you. There are some good tracks on "Vera's tape" from where these tracks came... any idea who "Vera" was?

Hah! And I thought Lancashire Clogs was played at a quickstep...

Check out "The Tomboys!" I believe that's a tenor-banjo in the lead...same for "Mania" although it is a tad on the rocky side.

"Hindu Man" is a solid delight! Thank you!!

That would be Vera Ward. She wrote an article in the Magazine of the BMG, (#856) in 2009. She talked about some recordings of the London Banjo Club she had rediscovered.  I was intrigued and wrote to ask if i could hear the recordings. She sent me her cassette tape that I digitised. The BMG printed a link in the mag to distribute these recordings.

She said she had played with Tom Edwards, who duets with Horne on Tomboys, Mania and Jumpys Joe. She played at federation concerts. She is listed as a plectrum guitar player in contributors column of same issue. 

There is also an editors foot note to say that these recordings are prob from broadcasts made in 1949. The period when Doctor Len Hussey was President of the LBC.

JUMPYS JO The London Banjo Club

Link to mp3s

Attachments:

Boy, that's fast - I feel like I've had a shot of caffeine.  I particularly like Jumpys Jo - it reminds me of early Pete Mandell tenor banjo tunes.   

For those who have not heard the "Introduction" to the BBC recording here it is.

BBC INTERVIEW The London Banjo Club

I have added it for two reasons:

1) It is interesting

2) It always makes me laugh "I am an Inland Revenue Official"  "Ugh... Popular Fellow"

:-))

thereallyniceman said:

Thank you frailer !  I have added players for the tunes for you. There are some good tracks on "Vera's tape" from where these tracks came... any idea who "Vera" was?

Here is a picture of Vera, her father George Crump is standing on her right, the banjoist on the

right of the picture is Tom Edwards and the other banjo player is Syd Hilton.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service