This is a cleverly written rag that plays around with the melody of Dixie. The trio, with its increase in tempo, is well worth a listen and the final part has some interesting syncopation. I was unable to find out anything about the composer, there were a couple of Al Lewis names that came up but they would have been born outside the time scale for the tune. Maybe someone else could have more success? The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It wouldn't surprise me to find that "Al Lewis" is an unknown pseudonym for Sadie Koninsky. She was doing a lot of stuff in this period and publishing her own work, sometimes under a pseudonym (Jerome Hartman, but where there's one, there may be others).

It is a neat little tune, btw. Simply jumping on the "Dixie" marketing bandwagon with a quote or two in the intro and then a hint of Dixie later on. I suspect it just didn't quite have enough 'dixie' in it to make it popular.

Hi Marc, I think your suggestion is pretty close to the mark given the name of the publishers....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to find that "Al Lewis" is an unknown pseudonym for Sadie Koninsky. She was doing a lot of stuff in this period and publishing her own work, sometimes under a pseudonym (Jerome Hartman, but where there's one, there may be others).

It is a neat little tune, btw. Simply jumping on the "Dixie" marketing bandwagon with a quote or two in the intro and then a hint of Dixie later on. I suspect it just didn't quite have enough 'dixie' in it to make it popular.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service