Losey was better known as a composer of band music but he did write a few rags and this is probably his best. It's similar in structure to The Smiler. It's written with four parts, each with its own character and the final section is a real finger bender. The score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will you be doing this one, the "other" Tangle Foot Rag? Composed by Fleta Jan Brown from the same period. Much simpler, sweeter...not as good as Losey's, but sounds like it ought to be neat on the banjo.

Hi Marc, I've not come across this before, I see what you mean about it's suitability for banjo, it's a good little tune. I'll certainly give it a go but I'll probably have to do it the hard way by working from the Dorian Henry video as I haven't managed to find a piano score....Steve.
Trapdoor2 said:

Will you be doing this one, the "other" Tangle Foot Rag? Composed by Fleta Jan Brown from the same period. Much simpler, sweeter...not as good as Losey's, but sounds like it ought to be neat on the banjo.

I love finding 'connections' in this stuff. Fleta Jan Brown also wrote, "The Party That Wrote Home-Sweet-Home Never Was A Married Man". That tune was covered on the banjo by Mack Woolbright in the 20's (three-finger style)...and Earl Scruggs learned it from the Woolbright recording and cut his version of it in the mid 1960's (as "Home-Sweet-Home"). Every BG banjoist I've ever met has learned (or attempted to learn) Earl's version...including me. Most people think Earl simply made it up on his own from the original "Home! Sweet Home!" (pub. 1832)...but now we know the rest of the story.

Since we are getting all tangled up-- there is also "Tangle Foot Jig" by Kenneth.  Should be called "Tangle Fingers" instead.

A fun little piece to fool around with, esp if you only play the 5th when it is flagged.

But has nothing to do with these except the title.

Attachments:

Hi Joel, there's also a Tanglefoot Cy, a march and two-step written 1908 by Ralph Rhodes, it's OK but nothing special...Steve.

Joel Hooks said:

Since we are getting all tangled up-- there is also "Tangle Foot Jig" by Kenneth.  Should be called "Tangle Fingers" instead.

A fun little piece to fool around with, esp if you only play the 5th when it is flagged.

But has nothing to do with these except the title.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service