Rob Murch has sent me a video, and not a sign of him!

Our friend, Rob Murch, has sent me a link to a video made by Michelle Holding,  one of Rob's pupils.

Michelle certainly has made excellent progress as she has only been playing for just over two years.

This is a superb bit of "real" live playing, including the odd wobbler, but who cares. You can see the musicality oozing out from her playing !!!!  Nice banjo, nice tone and a delight to watch!

ENCORE !!!!!!    and 5*****  from me.  I am sure that Emile would be proud of you :-)

I see that you are a member on here Michelle, so I do hope that you will post more videos and join in the discussion fun.

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello! Thank you for the kind words. Yes trios are my downfall it seems, in everything I've learnt so far, but Rob is persevering with me, with good grace!
I figured it was about time I posted something...

Great job. This one is definitely on my "To Learn" list.

Wonderful!

I particularly liked some of the jazzy bits, sections of B part that got some swing, etc. Nice to have that.

Also...great laugh break. I do the same thing. Mess up and just LOL. Jump right back in. Well done that.

This reminds me, I don't think that I'm ready for The Banshee, but I really enjoy "A Banjo Vamp" (perhaps I'll summon the courage to post a video over the next few weeks). What are some other easy Grimshaw solos that are interesting and fun to play?

"Easy" and "Grimshaw" do not go in the same sentence.  "A Footlight Favorite" however is within reach after a year or so.

david caron said:

This reminds me, I don't think that I'm ready for The Banshee, but I really enjoy "A Banjo Vamp" (perhaps I'll summon the courage to post a video over the next few weeks). What are some other easy Grimshaw solos that are interesting and fun to play?

Easier on the Grimshaw spectrum I should say

A Spanish Romance is not AS difficult to play as many of old Emile's scores!

Funny, I can't play "Footlight Favorite."  It is the only ABF "group number" that ahs not stuck.  I'm not sure why.  I speculate that when I start to play it I get bored and don't follow through with memorizing it.  I would say SR is a medium to near advanced solo to play correctly.  That one did stick.

I will admit that when I first started trying to tackle a few English solos, people would tell me that a piece was "easy"-- no they are not easy.  After awhile they get easier but I would not call the repertoire easy.

I would like to see more hidden gems unearthed.  While I'll be the first to admit that Morley and Grimshaw composition are tops and something to strive for, there are mountains of musical pieces that are within reach of beginners to moderate players that are not played. 

People are willing to plug in music to convert to TAB, perhaps we could do the same with some of the more musical A notation pieces to C? 

My only critique with modern transposition is that once in a computerized typeface they look "real" and final.  This is different from manuscript where we expect some errors.  Sadly, there are some very official looking copies of "standards" in circulation that are riddled with errors.  If the music does not play correctly or the type is not balanced in a pleasing way then that is a problem.  One of my pet peeves with modern computer typeset is the half or quarter second page.  There is never any reason for that, the software I use has several ways built in to balance the pages.

Sorry, I will stop shaking my fist.

That is great playing!  That particular trio is trying and you handled it in a pleasing way.  I usually end up on the floor kicking my legs, screaming, and crying in a fit.

Thanks. I usually find that laughter is the best bet...I do use the crying kicking system too though! 

I know I don't find any of them easy! 

Joel Hooks said:

Funny, I can't play "Footlight Favorite."  It is the only ABF "group number" that ahs not stuck.  I'm not sure why.  I speculate that when I start to play it I get bored and don't follow through with memorizing it.  I would say SR is a medium to near advanced solo to play correctly.  That one did stick.

I will admit that when I first started trying to tackle a few English solos, people would tell me that a piece was "easy"-- no they are not easy.  After awhile they get easier but I would not call the repertoire easy.

I would like to see more hidden gems unearthed.  While I'll be the first to admit that Morley and Grimshaw composition are tops and something to strive for, there are mountains of musical pieces that are within reach of beginners to moderate players that are not played. 

People are willing to plug in music to convert to TAB, perhaps we could do the same with some of the more musical A notation pieces to C? 

My only critique with modern transposition is that once in a computerized typeface they look "real" and final.  This is different from manuscript where we expect some errors.  Sadly, there are some very official looking copies of "standards" in circulation that are riddled with errors.  If the music does not play correctly or the type is not balanced in a pleasing way then that is a problem.  One of my pet peeves with modern computer typeset is the half or quarter second page.  There is never any reason for that, the software I use has several ways built in to balance the pages.

Sorry, I will stop shaking my fist.

That is great playing!  That particular trio is trying and you handled it in a pleasing way.  I usually end up on the floor kicking my legs, screaming, and crying in a fit.

That's kind. I know it splits opinions as a technique,  but I like to get off the score and create "my version" as soon as I can, jazzy bits etc. :)

Trapdoor2 said:

Wonderful!

I particularly liked some of the jazzy bits, sections of B part that got some swing, etc. Nice to have that.

Also...great laugh break. I do the same thing. Mess up and just LOL. Jump right back in. Well done that.

Now who would want to do that? Oh, I forget. I do.

Let me know what your A notation conversion 'bucket list' is, I'll raise it into C and Tab to boot. I've been on an A Notation binge over the last week or so with Tim's "Elegant Plunk" and some example Baur pieces. I'll be scanning the New Langey tutor for likely bits as well.

I just remembered that I owe you a Tutor. It is here somewhere, I'll dig it out and send it on. Sorry about that!

===Marc

Joel Hooks said:

Hey Marc, if it is the Dobson National Banjo Method don't bother.  I got a copy super cheap (I low balled an auction and they took the offer).

And, don't be surprised if both of these show up at your house in the mail at some point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service