What I like about Johnson's rags are that most of them are easy to listen to and not too fussy, unlike some of the music written by Joplin, Scott and some others which can be quite challenging to play. This is a good example and suits the banjo very well. I've transposed it from the original key of G to C for ease of playing. The score and midi are in the library..Steve.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neatly done, Steve. Some pieces (like this one) seem to beg for a full orchestra arrangement. I think that this is one that would do well in that vein.

I wonder if Joel Hooks wants an orchestra piece for the ABF Fall Rally? Here it is!

Hi Marc, thanks for your kind comment. An arrangement for a banjo orchestra would certainly be a challenge for anyone to try. I have the facility on my software to arrange for multiple instruments and maybe I'll  give it a try out some time....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Neatly done, Steve. Some pieces (like this one) seem to beg for a full orchestra arrangement. I think that this is one that would do well in that vein.

I wonder if Joel Hooks wants an orchestra piece for the ABF Fall Rally? Here it is!

For much of the Ragtime stuff, I tend to simply transliterate the piano's L/H into a "2nd Banjo". I'll take the lowest line of that and use it as a bass line for the CB (adding ruffles and flourishes as they make themselves known). What I've never been successful at doing is to write for the Banjeaurine. I would love to hear how Hal Allert (or anyone) does that.

The tendency (I suspect) is that we moderns want to create arrangements where "everybody plays all the time". Certainly more fun for the players, of course. However, true orchestral arrangements use instruments as needed. Some instruments may have only a few measures, etc. Shrill instruments like the piccolo banjo shouldn't (my opinion, naturally) sound off all the time...that 'plink - plink - plink' of a pB vamping in the background just sounds annoying to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service