made in 1932  by jack Abbott 

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Merriman / Abbott banjo is about to become my favorite . 11 inches 1/4 ; all Wallnut ; large neck , 35 mm at the nut ; zero fret ; 21 frets ; the high C is played on the bezel ; not a heavy banjo ;

A very pretty banjo, Marc. I like the curved rim and separation between it and the resonator.
marc dalmasso said:

The Merriman / Abbott banjo is about to become my favorite . 11 inches 1/4 ; all Wallnut ; large neck , 35 mm at the nut ; zero fret ; 21 frets ; the high C is played on the bezel ; not a heavy banjo ;

Hi Marc Dalmasso

I’ve just been reading your post on Classic Banjo.ning.com

(my new Banjo made in 1932 by Jack Abbott)

My name is John and was related to Harold Thomas Merriman    1903 -1977

At the moment I’m refitting new strings to his banjo.

Mr Merriman sent his prototype to Windsor of Birmingham who made about half a dozen instruments to his design. They were sold privately. In 1932 about the same number of instruments were made for Mr Merriman by J.G.Abbot and he advertised them in the June 1932 "BMG".

I have his original Banjo that he made in 1943 while serving in Kenya.  He and my father Frank Craze played with the Phil Barker Banjo Boys from Gloucester.

Basically, the hoop of this banjo (which he patented in 1928)which I  have a copy, consisted of a series of blocks glued together in a ring and turned to a section similar to that of a bell.  A metal band was fitted under the"shelf" of the hoop to act as a wearing plate for the nuts of the tention brackets, thus eliminatingthe neccessity for the conventional shoes.

Hope you find this post interesting

John

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service