J. R. Hubbell was a prolific composer of American popular music at the beginning of the 20th. century. This cakewalk is one of his earliest compositions, it has the 'folksy' sound of many of the early cakewalks and is well suited for playing on the banjo. The score and midi are in the library..Steve.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That book, "Brainard's Ragtime Collection" is one that is often quoted as one of the first to collect "rag time" tunes as a genre. Pretty cool...I'd love to find a copy (on ebay, I'm sure).

Interesting (to me, at least) that tunes like this were titled simply as a marketing ploy. The US had just won the Philippines from Spain (during the Span-Am War) and of course, everybody was looking to capitalize on it being in the news. Further interesting that this craze lasted such a short time...only a couple of years.

Hi Marc, If you check the following and download the pdf file, you'll get a list of the contents. Most of them can be found by searching the web.

http://www.billsaudioreferencelibrary.com/cake_walks__two_steps/s/m...

Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

That book, "Brainard's Ragtime Collection" is one that is often quoted as one of the first to collect "rag time" tunes as a genre. Pretty cool...I'd love to find a copy (on ebay, I'm sure).

Interesting (to me, at least) that tunes like this were titled simply as a marketing ploy. The US had just won the Philippines from Spain (during the Span-Am War) and of course, everybody was looking to capitalize on it being in the news. Further interesting that this craze lasted such a short time...only a couple of years.

Yah, I found a copy on ebay...and the pix had the table of contents. Some cool stuff in there. I'm going to bid on it. You know me, I love 19th cent paper!

Hi Marc, apart from two tunes, the rest of them are on Bill's Audio Website, I've arranged a few of them already but as you say, there are some real goodies there which I've put on my to do list. I like the pre 1900 tunes, they seem to suit the banjo very well and are  not too much of a challenge to play...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Yah, I found a copy on ebay...and the pix had the table of contents. Some cool stuff in there. I'm going to bid on it. You know me, I love 19th cent paper!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service