After a bit of Jazz with King Porter Stomp I thought I'd get down and dirty with a blues number.

This is a great blues which along with Languid Blues, goes really well on the banjo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoI_dy-NI8

This an early recording made by Earl Fuller and his Novelty Orchestra.

I had to be a bit inventive with the arrangement as it was originally written as a song, I've had to combine the left and right hand on piano score and add some repeats to make it into an instrumental.

The score and midi are in the library....Steve. 

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oooooh. I like this one, Steve. I think you've done a great job of capturing and bringing out the 'blues' in it.

Well done! I may have to tab this one out...

Thanks Marc, I've been looking for a decent blues tune that would go well on the banjo  for some time and this one fits the bill a treat. I have a couple more sitting on my desk top that I want to try later. I've been a keen follower of the blues for at least 50 years, much to the dismay of my 8 year old granddaughter as I usually play my blues CDs when we travel in the car together. Have you any thoughts on King Porter Stomp? Pushing the boundaries of banjo into jazz was a challenging experiment, I thought it worked quite well although maybe not to everyone's taste...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Oooooh. I like this one, Steve. I think you've done a great job of capturing and bringing out the 'blues' in it.

Hey Marc...ME TOO !

This is the email I sent to Steve when I received his arrangement!

"I take back all I said about blues and banjo. The Graveyard arrangement is a delight and may well go on my "to do" list when I eventually get time to play the banjo again. It is very good indeed and has a great blues swing!"

I dearly love just about any of the music from the 20's and 30's. I'm not particularly 'into' blues per se but a lot of this early stuff is lots of fun. If there was a local group, I daresay I'd be sitting in with a tenor or plectrum.

I'll comment on King Porter Stomp in that thread.

Steve Harrison said:

Thanks Marc, I've been looking for a decent blues tune that would go well on the banjo  for some time and this one fits the bill a treat. I have a couple more sitting on my desk top that I want to try later. I've been a keen follower of the blues for at least 50 years, much to the dismay of my 8 year old granddaughter as I usually play my blues CDs when we travel in the car together. Have you any thoughts on King Porter Stomp? Pushing the boundaries of banjo into jazz was a challenging experiment, I thought it worked quite well although maybe not to everyone's taste...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service