This is not a cakewalk, despite the title. It's a tune with a real Latin American flavour in the same vein as Porto Rico of which Ian made an excellent video some time back.

As Cuba is mentioned, I presume this is a rumba? I've made maximum use of the banjo's 'second voice' to keep it moving along and I've added plenty of finger positions to the score for those who may wish to try it. It's not something that you would expect to hear played on banjo but it works very well and demonstrates the variety of different genres of music that are possible. The score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear a habanera rhythm under this...but hard to tell. I presume the original sheet music has the rhythm in the left hand of the piano.

This is fairly early for "Cuban" rhythmic structure, as far as I know. Cuban music would get its best and most popular boost just under 20yrs after this was published. 1919 would start prohibition in America and Cuba would become a huge "offshore" resort for the drinking public who could afford to make the trip.

Hi Marc, The left hand rhythm is a  dotted 1/8, 1/16 and two 1/8 notes repeated throughout. It would make an easy banjo second, a straight steal from the piano score...Steve. 
Trapdoor2 said:

I hear a habanera rhythm under this...but hard to tell. I presume the original sheet music has the rhythm in the left hand of the piano.

This is fairly early for "Cuban" rhythmic structure, as far as I know. Cuban music would get its best and most popular boost just under 20yrs after this was published. 1919 would start prohibition in America and Cuba would become a huge "offshore" resort for the drinking public who could afford to make the trip.

LOL. Sometimes my brain scares me. Look up "habanera rhythm"...exactly what you describe.

Cool tune, great find. Well done!

Hi Marc..Bizet's Carmen is a good example...Steve.
Trapdoor2 said:

LOL. Sometimes my brain scares me. Look up "habanera rhythm"...exactly what you describe.

Cool tune, great find. Well done!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service