Backwell Banjo Rally here in the UK - 7th September 2013

The Backwell Classic Banjo Rally has been held at the Women's Institute Hall in Backwell, Near Bristol, UK  for many years and still attracts Classic Style players from the UK and Europe.. and even further a field.

BACKWELL... Village of the year and Village of the Banjo !

Backwell Rally 1991

Backwell 1992 Rally

Backwell 2012 Rally

THE COMMUNITY TUNES TO BE PLAYED AT THE RALLY HAVE NOW BEEN ANNOUNCED

The Southwest Regional Banjo Rally will be held on September 7th. at Backwell W.I. hall, which is located in the centre of the village, eight miles south of Bristol on the A370.  Easy access is gained from all directions using either the M4 or M5 motorways.  There is also a regular train service to Nailsea and Backwell which is on the main London to Penzance line with connections from Bristol Temple Meads.  Free parking is available at the rally venue.

If you would like to attend the rally and want to to get practising, the Community Tunes are as follows:-

Alexander's Ragtime Band

Calliope Rag

Kissing Cup Waltz

Banjotown

Queen of the Burlesque

Blaze Away

Shaeffer's Jig

Skeleton Dance

Whistling Rufus

The doors will open at 12.00pm and continue through until 5.00pm.

Admission is £3.50.

The format of the rally remains the same as previous years with organised playing and regular breaks for refreshments, buying and selling instruments and music.

Should anyone wish to reserve a stand or display space, please confirm first with Mike Redman or Tom Ryan.

Although the Backwell Banjo Rally is solely for finger style banjo, other instruments are welcome for use as accompaniment.  

Please be assured that all levels of playing are catered for and newcomers will find the atmosphere friendly and encouraging.

Light refreshments and gallons of tea and coffee will be available, all at reasonable prices, so there is no need to bring food with you.

As in previous years, the evening playing will continue at the Bridge Inn, Yatton.  Tel. 01934 839100  e-mail 1964@greeneking.co.uk  Meals and accommodation are also available.  This finale to the rally has proven to be a great success in previous years with a relaxed atmosphere, good food, good ale and above all good company.  All are welcome; there is no charge for the evening event.

Views: 568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will be there, I've got a couple of weeks to find the banjo and the music, so nothing to worry about there then.

Haha, there you are! 

We're back and unloaded and packed away for oh nearly a month.

We had a brilliant day, a long and tedious journey down to Rugby on Friday teatime and then on to Backwell in the morning. The usual corner stall had been reserved for me and we busied ourselves for half an hour or so unpacking and setting up the Clifford Essex stall. The playing started quickly with a community selection starting with Blaze Away and we were off!

Brisk business on the stall and loads of interest in the Sharpe and Weaver - keep the luthiers going through the Winter.

Nice to see Claude back in action and Pat Doyle and Tony Peabody contributing to playing.

Special mention for my pal Rob Murch who was able to be with us for the full day- his powerful playing contributed significantly to the afternoon and to the apres Rally concert we gave at the Backwell Festival.

It was as always a great day for the banjo! Many thanks to all involved. What great music we all made! Roll on next year. Rob

Rob's playing on Saturday was just brilliant.......especially at the Bridge Inn when he had a go on my CE Professional.  Many thanks to all involved who contributed to make it a great day.  Tom

I have been sent a further selection of photographs of the Rally.  Classic Banjo is "Alive and Well" here in the UK !

Many thanks to David Wade and Phil Spires for sending these photographs for use on the website.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service