Whenever I've heard this played on banjo, it's usually been on plectrum banjo played at 100mph, very brash and not to my taste. I've written a finger style arrangement, using the original piano score, to be played at a more sedate and achievable tempo, more ragtime than jazz. This is also my 300th. arrangement.The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, when I think of this piece, I hear Eddie Peabody and his plectrum playing at warp 6.

Congrats on the 300th! Looking forward to more...

Thanks Marc, I think it sounds OK played slightly more slowly, it doesn't need to be played at 'warp 6'....Steve.   

Trapdoor2 said:

Yeah, when I think of this piece, I hear Eddie Peabody and his plectrum playing at warp 6.

Congrats on the 300th! Looking forward to more...

Ian, Steve and Marc, this is for you — and one I bet not many have heard: a private recording of none other than Fred Van Eps playing Twelfth Street Rag at a New Year’s Eve/Birthday Party in 1954 with his son Robert expertly accompanying on the piano:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iym4lrv0lj6izr9/TwelfthStreetRag.mp3

Ian, I know of your affection for and appreciation of the great man, and this click-and-popless hi-fi recording shows him at his informal and ornamental finest, I think, playing in his late "LP" style; feel free to add it to the site’s jukebox, if you’d like. And Steve, maybe this is about the tempo you’re thinking of? Happy 300th.

Warmest of wishes to all, as always,

C.

TWELFTH STREET RAG Fred Van Eps playing live

Chris...how cool!

I swear I can hear FVE nearly pulling those strings off the banjo. Very cool variations too. This was a big hit in the 50's for just about anyone wanting to 'show off'. You can find youtube videos of lots of versions including Liberace's.

Some great finger work...amazing. Thanks again, Chris.

Thanks Chris, my head keeps telling me to play it like FVE but my fingers won't let me. It's a truly awesome performance....Steve.
F. Chris Ware said:

Ian, Steve and Marc, this is for you — and one I bet not many have heard: a private recording of none other than Fred Van Eps playing Twelfth Street Rag at a New Year’s Eve/Birthday Party in 1954 with his son Robert expertly accompanying on the piano:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iym4lrv0lj6izr9/TwelfthStreetRag.mp3

Ian, I know of your affection for and appreciation of the great man, and this click-and-popless hi-fi recording shows him at his informal and ornamental finest, I think, playing in his late "LP" style; feel free to add it to the site’s jukebox, if you’d like. And Steve, maybe this is about the tempo you’re thinking of? Happy 300th.

Warmest of wishes to all, as always,

C.

Great to hear a live performance by FVE.  I also really like Tom Barriball's recording in the Jukebox.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service