Classic Banjo (2,661)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Horace Weston, W. P. Dabney, Sweeney, et al.

Here’s a short but fascinating and I think extremely pertinent article by Wendell Phillips Dabney (1865-1952), who was an African-American…

Started by F. Chris Ware

9 Jun 30, 2016
Reply by Jody Stecher

Billiken Rag (1918)..E. J. Stark.

The Billiken was designed by American illustrator Florence Pretz in 1908 and was manufactured and sold as a lucky charm. It's also the masc…

Started by Steve Harrison

0 Jun 30, 2016

A Georgia Barn Dance (1909)..Kerry Mills.

This a good tune for banjo and one written by Mills that I'd not heard before. It's a lively cakewalk with a very folksy sound to it and pl…

4 Jun 29, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

String et al suggestions

Hello again I have just acquired a Goldtone MM150 open back banjo which has a white lady tone ring. It's currently set up with steel strin…

Started by Eric Womersley

16 Jun 26, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Kyrene (An Oriental Intermezzo 1903) ..Etilmon Justus Stark.

I was unable to find a score for this so had to work from a midi transcript. It's an interesting composition with plenty of variety however…

0 Jun 25, 2016

The Darktown Dandy (1898)...Joseph W. Lerman

This is an early 'folk' cakewalk and similar in style to some of the tunes that can be found in the early banjo tutors. It's very well suit…

3 Jun 19, 2016
Reply by carrie horgan

12th.Street Rag (1915)...Euday Lewis Bowman.

Whenever I've heard this played on banjo, it's usually been on plectrum banjo played at 100mph, very brash and not to my taste. I've writte…

6 Jun 18, 2016
Reply by carrie horgan

The Bell Telephone Girl (1909)..Ida Furman-Multiner

This tune goes back to the early days of the telephone before automated telephone exchanges. The composer was the wife of Charles Multiner…

2 Jun 17, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Tickle Toes - A Toe Tickler, William Penn

Ok, was listening to the Skirtlifters on the way to work this morning and "Tickle Toes" caught my ear. Sounds like it would be fun to play.…

Started by Trapdoor2

21 Jun 16, 2016
Reply by Hal Allert

Back from St Gervasy 2016

We are back from the 2016 ' Banjo festival in Saint Gervasy ( Gard  / France ) ; We had the pleasure to see Alison again this year ; she wa…

Started by marc dalmasso

2 Jun 14, 2016
Reply by marc dalmasso

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service